The Main Hall, 5 Balfour Manor, was formerly the Ball Room and is being offered for sale for the first time in nearly forty years. The property offers many features including a most attractive, west facing, private courtyard garden and a spacious main reception room having a stunning two-storey window which enjoys a south-westerly aspect and measures approximately 4m wide and 5.1m high (13’3 x 17’).
Summary Continued .....
The well-proportioned and adaptable accommodation provides the opportunity of ground floor living, having a good size double bedroom and spacious en-suite bathroom. An impressive wide staircase rises to the upper floor, which is open plan, with a gallery effect, overlooking the ground floor and the bay window. This first floor area has been cleverly set up, with a large bedroom area and en-suite bathroom and a further area which can be used as an occasional bedroom or sitting area.
The accommodation is very well presented and although now in need of a little modernisation, it does benefit from having gas fired central heating.
From the Sidmouth office proceed up the High Street, turning left into All Saints Road. Continue to the next mini-roundabout opposite the Woodlands Hotel and turn right into Station Road, continuing through the pinch-point. Proceed, taking the first road on the left hand side, which is Broadway and then turn immediately right into the entrance of Balfour Manor. Continue through the grounds, passing the house on the left hand side, taking the next left, where there is available parking for viewing purposes.
The accommodation with approximate dimensions comprises:
Front door and side screens to the:
Stone mullion surrounds. Radiator. Arch to a:
Space and plumbing for washing machine and tumble dryer above. Space for freezer. High level shelf. Door to a:
White suite comprising a WC with concealed cistern and inset wash basin with range of vanity cupboards and worksurfaces over. Attractive tiling. Wall mounted gas fired boiler for hot water and central heating. Radiator.
IMPRESSIVE RECEPTION ROOM
Partially vaulted, with a sitting and dining room area and the impressive full height two storey stone bay window which overlooks the private courtyard. This room is of an irregular shape, however the average measurements are 8.35m x 9.0m (27’ x 29’6)
4.0m x 6.1m (13’3 x 20’) Westerly aspect with leaded light French doors leading into the courtyard garden. Substantial recessed fireplace with brick hearth, high mantel and fitted wood burning stove. Two radiators. TV point. Four wall light points. Double doors to the utility/lobby.
4.1m x 7.6m (including staircase and into bay window) (13’6 x 25’) Lovely westerly aspect through the large two storey bay window overlooking the courtyard garden and beyond to the communal grounds. Substantial staircase rising to the first floor. Two radiators. Built in storage cupboard. Wall light points. BT point. Understairs recess with book shelving.
3.6m x 3.2m (max measurements) (11’9 x 10’6) Range of matching base and wall units, worksurfaces and tiled splashbacks. Inset one and a quarter bowl sink with mixer tap. Built in split level double oven with inset gas hob and cooker hood over. Integrated fridge/freezer. Space and plumbing for dishwasher. Radiator. Extractor fan. Inset ceiling spotlights.
4.0m x 3.6m (13’3 x 11’9) Westerly aspect. Radiator. Fitted wardrobes with hanging rail and shelving. Airing cupboard.
White suite comprising a panelled bath with mixer tap and shower attachment. WC with concealed cistern. Inset wash basin with vanity cupboard below. Mirror and light above. Shower cubicle with fitted seat. Chrome heated towel rail. Part tiled walls. Tiled flooring. Inset ceiling spotlights. Extractor fan. Dimplex wall heater.
The majority of this floor is open plan, with a balustrade overlooking the ground floor and bay window. There are numerous exposed timber beams and a:
Which enjoys an easterly aspect.
OPEN PLAN BEDROOM TWO
3.5m x 6.15m (11’6 x 20’) Privacy is gained, with full width curtains. Radiator. Door to an:
Coloured suite comprising a panelled bath, pedestal wash basin and low level WC. Shower and rose over the bath. Tiled splashbacks. Radiator. Mirror and light over the basin.
FURTHER SITTING AREA/OCCASIONAL BEDROOM THREE
2.45m plus galleried area x 6.1m (8’ x 20) Access is gained by a full width curtain. Radiator. Access to a large roof space.
OUTSIDE AND GARDEN
Adjoining the west elevation of The Main Hall is a beautiful walled courtyard garden, which is mainly paved with adjoining well-stocked shrub borders and having a staircase rising up into the communal grounds.
The property also has TWO SINGLE GARAGES, which are situated in a nearby block, both having up and over doors.
The private grounds of Balfour Manor extend to approximately twenty five acres of beautiful parkland woodland and large areas of lawn. Scattered amongst these unspoilt grounds are mature specimen trees, beautifully landscaped formal gardens and a charming stone folly. The folly is situated in an elevated position on the west side of the grounds and as such, affords a glorious outlook over the estate.
The grounds are strictly for the use of the residents only, with private roads leading through the lower grounds, giving access to the various residences. The estate is run by Balfour Manor Company, with the Board of Directors being residents only. An annual fee is charged to all residents, to cover the ongoing maintenance of the grounds and communal areas
This intriguing property forms part of the impressive Balfour Manor, which was converted into eleven dwellings during the 1970s. The property is set in magnificent twenty five acre parkland grounds, which are for the private use of the residents. The setting is undoubtedly charming, with the atmosphere of the original Manor House, yet is surprisingly convenient for the town and seafront, which are approximately three quarters of a mile away.
According to historical records, George Edmund Balfour purchased the Manor in 1866 and built the present Manor House shortly afterwards. He died in 1869 and his son, Colonel John Hugh Balfour, was the last Lord of the Manor.
BALFOUR MANOR Continued.......
A Bristol firm of builders, Messrs Stephens and Barstow, were commissioned by Mr Balfour to build the Manor House and in order to overcome the difficulties of transport (there was no Railway then), it was decided to make the bricks on the spot, so a brick field was opened up nearby on the land where the present Pathwhorlands houses are built. The last Lord of the Manor died in 1952 and the property became West Bank Girls School, which opened in 1954 and closed in 1972. Developers then purchased the property and converted the original house into what is now eleven dwellings.
The property is understood to be LEASEHOLD held on a 999 year lease from 1973.
The purchaser of this property becomes a member of Balfour Manor Management Company Ltd. We understand that there is a quarterly maintenance charge of £220, which covers the maintenance of the grounds and the driveways. The service charge information was correct as at 29.03.17. Service charge payments can be liable to alteration. You should, therefore, check the position before making a commitment to purchase.
Vacant possession on completion.
We are advised by East Devon District Council that the council tax band for this property is band F.
PRIOR TO PURCHASING A PROPERTY, YOU ARE NOW REQUIRED TO PROVIDE TWO FORMS OF I.D.
E.G. PASSPORT/DRIVING LICENSE
2) CONFIRMATION OF YOUR HOME
ADDRESS E.G. UTILITY BILL/BANK
THIS IS IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE ANTI MONEY LAUNDERING REGULATIONS 2017